I LOVE a warm bowl, of creamy Tomato Basil Bisque soup. I love it so much that typically, throughout the winter, I consume said bowl at least once a week. The most accessible as well as delicious one that I can grab quickly comes from Wawa. You can imagine how expensive this seasonal addiction can become. So, I decided to try and make my own. It couldn’t be too difficult right? It’s just tomatoes, some liquid and seasoning’s…right?
It was….slightly difficult, that is. Moreso time consuming I’ll say. But oh so worth it!
This version is Keto Friendly, even though I am weaning myself off of the Keto diet, I think lowering our carb intake, in general, is not a bad idea. I used heavy cream to thicken the soup and thinned it out with broth. However, if you’re not at all concerned about carb intake, feel free to use a little flour for thickening.
TIp: You will need a standard blender or an immersion blender. After trying my immersion blender first, I found it was more time consuming trying to get that velvety smooth consistency. So I ended up switching to my standard and it came out perfect.
Low Carb Tomato Basil Bisque
- 12 Roma tomatoes
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tbsp Herbs de Provence
- 3 tbsp Fresh Basil
- 1/2 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Broth (or any broth that you'd like)
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large White Onion
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and grease lightly.
- Dice the tomatoes into cubes. Toss the tomato chunks with olive oil and minced garlic. Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast in the oven for about30 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft.
- Dice and saute onion until translucent
- Transfer the tomatoes, garlic, and onions to a blender and puree until smooth. If you have an immersion blender, you can blend in the pot you will be cooking the soup in. (I have both, and preferred the blender for the smoothest result.)
- Pour the tomato puree into a pot over medium heat. Add the broth of your choice as well as the seasonings. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and basil.
Enjoy!! If you liked this recipe for Tomato Basil Bisque, please let me know in the comments, as well as other types of recipes you would like to see. Check out my Keto Friendly Brownie recipe before you go!
Follow me on Instagram for the day to day ❤