Introducing a modern twist on an old classic: French Onion Meatballs. These delectable morsels deliver all the flavors we love from the iconic French onion soup in a bite-sized package that will leave you wanting more.
Think tender, juicy meatballs infused with the rich, caramelized flavors of onions, and topped with a gooey layer of melted Gruyere cheese. Each bite is a burst of culinary bliss, combining the comforting essence of French onion soup with the satisfying texture of a meatball.
The Wow Factor: Impress Your Guests with French Onion Meatballs
The star of these meatballs is the caramelized onion. Slowly cooked until golden brown, the onions add a deep and sweet flavor that perfectly complements the beef. But it doesn’t stop there. The meatballs, filled with garlic and creamy Gruyere cheese, which melts beautifully and adds a luxurious element to each bite. This combination of flavors creates a mouthwatering explosion of flavor that will have your guests raving.
French Onion Meatballs
- 2 pounds Ground beef or Turkey
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 ½ tbsp Grey Poupon Dijon Coarse Ground Mustard
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- ¾ cup Gruyère shredded
- 1 ½ cup Truffle Gruyère for topping
French Onion Soup
- 2 large Vidalia onions sliced
- 3 tbsp Kerrygold butter
- 2 tsp flaky salt
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ cup Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 ¾ cup beef broth
- 1 French loaf sliced
- 3 tbsp Kerrygold butter melted
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- Melt butter in a oven safe pan at medium heat. Add in thinly sliced onions and stir.2 large Vidalia onions, 3 tbsp Kerrygold butter
- Stir every few minutes. This should take at least around 10-15 minutes. When onions have begun to take on a golden brown color, stir in your salt.2 tsp flaky salt
- While onions are caramelizing, combine your meatball ingredients. Roll in to 2 ounce balls. This recipe rendered 16. Place them on an oiled, foil lined baking sheet and bake at 360 F for 20-30 minutes.2 pounds Ground beef or Turkey, 2 eggs, 1 ½ tbsp Grey Poupon Dijon Coarse Ground Mustard, 5 cloves minced garlic, 1 tbsp black pepper, 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley, 1 tbsp sea salt, 1 tbsp onion powder, ¾ cup Gruyère
- When your onions have released the majority of their liquid, are golden brown, and are beginning to stick to the pan, deglaze with white wine. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until it reduces. Stir in thyme, garlic, and Worcestershire. Pour in beef broth and simmer for 10 more minutes.3 cloves minced garlic, ¼ cup white wine, ¼ cup Worcestershire, 1 tbsp thyme, 1 ¾ cup beef broth
- Place cooked meatballs into the soup. Spread out evenly and top with Gruyère. Put under your broiler for a few minutes, or back in the oven for another 5-10.1 ½ cup Truffle Gruyère
- Top with chopped parsley. Serve with garlic bread and Enjoy!1 tbsp parsley
A Delicious and Easy Weeknight Dinner Idea
Not only are French Onion Meatballs delicious, they can also be prepared ahead of time, making them a convenient option for a busy weeknight. Simply shape the meatballs and refrigerate until ready to cook. This makes them an excellent choice for meal prepping or making ahead for busy evenings.
Pair these French Onion Meatballs with a side salad for a satisfying meal, or even sandwich them between a warm baguette for a delightful twist on a classic French dip sandwich.
Take a culinary adventure and give these French Onion Meatballs a try. Your taste buds will thank you for the delicious journey.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you do, be sure to let me know. I love to hear from you.